Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week Four- Questions

Please answer the following questions:
  • What surprised you the most during this experience?   
  • Would you change anything?  If so, what? 
  • What was the most challenging aspect of this experience?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What surprised me the most is how different students react to what and how you say something to them. I could see it when Ms. Decker spoke to them and other teachers and how it worked well. When I tried it took a while to get used to finding the best way to speak with the students. I am still learning how, even though I spent a lot of time with the students. The most drastic experience where I really saw how they react differently when you speak to them is when there was a sub who was a high school teacher. She just told the student to stop that or flat out told them no. This really helped me see the difference in the students behaviors based on how you speak and react to them.
    I think the only thing I would change is how I “showed” the students I am a teacher as well. It is different coming from being the oldest of siblings and cousins where you just play with them and are their friends, to being an authority figure to many kids. I am still figuring out how to have the students look at me in a positive light as well as know I am in charge. So I would have tried to accomplish this more solidly at first than I did.
    The most challenging aspect would have been the discipline with students. Many did not take me seriously when I would ask them to do something or listen. Having control without being controlling was the hardest part for me. My level one students were 5th graders and it was easier to tell them to do something and have them listen. However these 1st and 2nd graders take much more time and patients mixed with the right words to get them to do what you ask of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the past four weeks the amount that I have connected with the children is what surprised me the most. The students are so great and it made this field experience so meaningful. The openness of the students allowed me to truly get to know them and relate to them in a teacher/ student way. I honestly wasn’t expecting to get to know them as well as I did. It was a happy surprise.
    Honestly, I don’t think I would change anything about my experience. I feel like my relationship with the students was great, ad it allowed me to really set my feet and gain confidence as a teacher. I learned a lot from the experience and the best part was that, since I was comfortable enough to take chance, I was comfortable enough to make mistakes, learn and then grow.
    By far the most challenging aspect of this experience was the lesson planning. It took so much to formulate ideas, topics and tasks. I always knew planning lessons would be a time consuming part of the career, but I didn’t realize how long it really does take.

    ReplyDelete