Monday, September 12, 2011

Week Two-Questions

Please respond to at least 3 of the following questions. Then respond to two of your peers.
  •  What type of differentiated instruction have you seen in the classroom?
  • What topics are you thinking you might want to pursue for your lesson?   How might you think about including differentiation within your lesson?
  • What have you noticed about the structure of a lesson within the classroom?
  • What management techniques have you observed/not observed that you might use within your lesson?
  • What types of learning goals have you observed in the classroom?

7 comments:

  1. Lacey Downey
    Level 2
    09/15/2011

    Differentiated instruction occurs throughout the room, multiple times a day. This classroom contains a unique blend of students in first and second grade and so every subject and lesson must be geared towards these two specific age abilities. Every morning during center time the students rotate through the spelling center. The spelling list is a perfect example of how the lesson allows for a wide range of abilities. On each test there are normally around ten spelling words, but in addition there are also approximately five challenge and five champion challenge words. Based on spelling ability students are placed on a certain list where they are then given words that can challenge them, without over doing it.
    Classroom management became very apparent to me today when a sub was there in place of the teacher. In general the students were well behaved and helpful, but in the moments students did get rowdy and different management techniques were used the children seemed confused. The clapping of patterns is a key signal to quite down, behaviors are assigned red, yellow or green signals, and planned musical transitions help to deflate any disruption before it arises. The sub often simply just raised her voice and or moved the students. In this teacher’s unfamiliarity of the classroom, the preemptive strike against bad behavior was not in place and more stopping occurred.
    Learning goals are threaded with the unit theme of the community. Students discuss various aspects of the community, but one aspect is that a community can exist as a family, school, city, state or country. The students learn each community’s relative size and function all within the context of community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Jensen
    Level II, Week 2

    After considering different math topics for my lessons, I am beginning to lean toward number stories. This topic will require quite a bit of differentiation because the first and second graders in this class have different skill levels in math, and also in reading/writing. In order to account for every learner, I have thought about using single digit and double digit addition stories, varying the length of the stories and grammar used, and having higher-level students work on creating and writing their own stories. I have noticed that many of the lessons these students are used to are structured into small group work. However, I hope to do start the class instruction in a whole group setting, then have activities/assessment in small groups.

    In the classroom this week, there were some high moments and some low moments. It seems as though most of the high moments came while working with individual or small groups of students. One day during math, students were expected to finish one addition practice sheet before joining a whole class activity to practice addition. These practice sheets were based on the child’s skill level; one type of differentiation I saw this week. While walking around the room providing extra support, I noticed one little girl who was not nearly as far along as the other students. I had not noticed whether this student had not been on task, or if she was simply struggling to understand. I sat with her for the next few minutes offering support because the rest of the class was nearly done with their assignment. During this one-on-one time, the student worked diligently and celebrated every correct answer as if she had just won a race. As she used the addition technique she’d been taught in class she began to notice patterns and this increased her self-esteem. Even though she knew she was the only student left working at her desk, she still took the time to celebrate her victories. She did not simply rush through to join the rest of the class and I found this inspiring.
    The low part of the week came on Thursday, when Ms. Decker was sick and unable to come to school. I had high expectations for how the students would respond to me even if their normal teacher was not there. Unfortunately, my expectations were not met. During math time, the students joining us from Mrs. S’s class were defiant, noncompliant, and rude. This behavior seemed to rub off onto the other students, who I was told had been having a mostly smooth day. Students did not have much trouble at all with the content we were working on together but their behavior in this small group of ten was unacceptable. This experience has opened my eyes to the type of management that will be necessary for my lesson. The students need to know that I have the same amount of power as their teacher, so I need to be firm while reinforcing the good decisions they make.



    Ms. Downey: It sound like the differentiation used during language arts is very similar to that used during math. In both of these subjects, knowledge is progressively based. Certain topics cannot be addressed until there is a firm understanding of something before it. This can make differentiation even more difficult, I'd say. It is very interesting to see how it all works and plays out in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Jensen,
    It's sad to hear that Friday didn't go as well as you had hoped! I noticed that the children seemed excited and full of energy during the morning, as always, but the main difference for myself was the methods that the substitute used to manage the classroom. Different situations are difficult moments for all but I definitely think that it's all worth it for the high ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Within the classroom I have seen that based on where a student is at in their level of learning they will do different tasks with in the same subject matter. This is a way to keep the differentiation at a minimum disturbance in classroom lessons. The class is usually broken down into multiple groups that rotate to different groups based on each individual students need. This way each student is getting the kind of help they need to succeed at the rate and pace they can handle. It also eliminates any struggles for students with slower learning habits within a large group. There are also different spelling test based off of where a student is in their spelling skills. This is a great way to help student to keep excelling without the words becoming too easy or difficult for a student.
    The structure for a lesson seems to depend of the day, subject matter and time there is for the lesson. Some are quick and simple and seem to move at a quick pace while others seem to have no structure and give the students freedom within the lesson. Overall I have seen a great deal of differentiation between lessons in the classroom. This seems to be because there is never one way to teach a lesson. Based on the circumstances of the classroom the lesson is molded to fit the students and teacher in the best possible way for the most learning to take place.
    I have seen very simple management techniques used in the classroom that seem to work wonders for these first and second graders. One is having everyone sit crossed legged while sitting on the floor and having all eyes on the speaker. This helps the student stop fidgeting and listen. I will be using this during my lesson as well as others such as having student raise “quiet hands” when asking a question. This helps students remember to wait to talk until they are called on. Both of these management techniques will be useful during my lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Devens:
    I can't believe the difference that those little management techniques have on this class! This age group NEEDS them. In my level one, I was in a sixth grade class and the teacher hardly used any techniques like these because their maturity level was higher. The management techniques for higher levels are much different because they want to be treated like adults. The interactions were very different as well because the students knew that I EXPECTED them to follow directions and be respectful. All I had to do was gain their attention and keep them engaged. However, with this younger group they do need constant reminders, even if they are engaged. I find the differences very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Downey,
    I did not get to see the interaction between the sub and the students, but it seems to have been a very interesting situation to watch and be a part of. In my level one, a sub came one day and she had there was a rotation were another class come in after she taught the class I normally observed. The class I was used to is usually very respectful and listens. I only had to walk over and stand next to some students who were having side conversations a couple times. But when the class came in that I was unfamiliar with, it was very hard to deal with them because neither the sub nor I knew how to handle this group. I tried what I did with the other students, but it only worked for a short time.
    Miss Sarah,
    It seems that you have a lot to think about for your lesson planning but have put a lot of thought into it already. Your lessons have a whole different direction to them than I do with mine. I am coming from a social studies standpoint and going off of the overall theme of communities. This makes me realize that when teaching elementary every lesson will not only be different but will be covering many subject areas, topics and themes. There is going to be a lot of planning when it comes to a whole day or even weeks’ worth of material to teach in a classroom. However, I am glad for the practice we get to do such as this before that day comes.

    ReplyDelete